Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Time

So often I hear “time heals all wounds” and “just give it time.” The more I think about it, the less I believe such statements. It’s not just time. It’s what you choose to do or not do in that time that heals all. If something happened between myself and another, or myself and the universe (as it seems to be of late), I could very easily obsess over the situation, attempting to fix something that couldn’t be fixed. I could lock myself in my room, wallowing in grief and sadness over what could have been.

So, you see, time does not deserve the credit. It doesn’t wait for you. It doesn’t give you pause so that you may heal. It passes regardless. It’s independent of all you experience. It is even when you are not. Thus, time does not heal. It’s the introspection and second-guessing you do to yourself in the days that pass. It’s the thought you put into the situation over the following weeks. It’s the changes you go through in your daily routine, thought processes and feelings. It’s coping with fears and insecurities. And, above all, it’s the forgiveness you show yourself thereafter.

I can wait to forgive. I can wait to figure myself out. I can wait to heal myself. Or, I can do it now. I choose now.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Time gives us nothing but time for us to do something...

    ReplyDelete